TECNALIA is the biggest private R&D&I centre in Spain and a reference R&D&I centre in Europe, with capacity to develop technological solutions for a number of industrial sectors. Our highest potential lies in a work team of more than 1400 experts oriented to transform technology into GDP in order to improve the quality of life and wellness of the society, generating business opportunities in the companies.
In particular, experts from 30 nationalities are distributed in 21 headquarters, foreseeing, identifying, and developing integrated technological solutions with creativity, originality, and imagination for more than 4000 customers, offering holistic solutions with a personalized and multidisciplinary service for every customer.
Tecnalia offer for the steelmaking companies covers all the technological necessities and industrial requirements that are present throughout the whole manufacturing process, from raw materials and production equipment to the final product, including the development of novel steel grades provided with ad-hoc functionalities, the improvement of energy efficiency in the process and the sustainability associated with the use of raw materials and the reuse of the generated waste.
TECNALIA has developed a specific strategy for the steelmaking companies which is aligned with the application of the Industry 4.0 concept in the sector.
• Novel steel grades: design of new alloys with ad-hoc functionalities and characterization.
• New developments: Application of Nanotechnology and development of Bulk Metallic Glasses (BMG).
• Steel applications in several sectors, such as transport sector (rail vehicles and automotive industries), energy sector, and construction sector.
• Digital twins for casting processes and reheating furnace.
• Secondary metallurgy: Application of fluid-dynamics for the optimization of the stirring process, not only in the ladle but also in the tundish, and for wire feeding processes.
• Hot rolling: Optimal design of rolling passes and rolling parameters
• Product quality control during process with computer vision technologies.
• Thermal treatments: Quenching & Partitioning.
• Circular economy: Reuse of refractories, use of scrap in different applications, energy efficiency, and emissions measurement
• Technological services for failure analysis and product certification
• Introduction of digital technologies in the steelmaking processes: Big Data, Augmented reality, Cyber security, IoT (Internet of Things), Additive manufacturing, sensoring…